But you know what I like even more? I really like "slowing down" the rate of drinking my morning smoothies. To give my digestion a better chance at absorbing the awesome nutrients I pack into them. Raw cocoa nibs is my latest favorite there. Especially when paired with "seedy" berries (I like frozen black and red raspberries), it really makes you slow down to "chew" your smoothie. This gives your body time to call upon its digestive enzymes to do the proper work of digestion. Beautiful how our bodies work if just let them, right?
Today I wanted to share with you a recipe from my upcoming Nutritional Cleanse (shh... don't tell anyone... Nah, just kidding: the cat has been out of the bag for a while now:-))
- 4 tbsp hemp seeds OR dairy-free, soy-free protein powder
- 1 tbsp raw cacao nibs
- 1 banana (note: this is optional if you need more sweetness)
- 1 c coconut milk*
- 1 c filtered or spring water
- 1⁄4 c organic frozen berries (any berries you like but the more seedy, the better you will be able to "slow" your smoothie down)
*I use full fat coconut milk, the kind that comes from a can or, better yet, a tetra pak such as Arroy-D. If you prefer cans, Native Forest or Natural Valley are two other brands I like. Arroy-D is still my all-times favorite (both gum and BPA free, yay!)
- Place all ingredients in blender and blend for 1 minute to ensure ingredients are properly mixed.